Reading period results:
We are pleased to announce we have chosen Soup Stories by CLS Ferguson as Portage Press’s book for 2017! The book will be published in May and available on Amazon.
Portage Press, an extension of Portage Magazine, publishes literature written by Upper Midwest authors and those with a relationship to the Upper Midwest.
Portage Press will be student-directed, as part of Carroll University’s Literary Magazine Publishing course. The chosen author will have the opportunity to work with a talented team of editors and graphic designers dedicated to making the book the best it can be. The book will be supported by a marketing and PR team. The Press will be advised by Prof. B.J. Best.
The book will be printed through CreateSpace, Amazon’s print-on-demand service. The book will then be available for sale on Amazon. CreateSpace offers high-quality printing at very reasonable prices.
The author’s payment will be 10 copies of the book plus 50% of the royalties Portage Press receives from Amazon. The author will also have the opportunity to purchase additional copies of the book at a rate of 50% of the list price.
In 2015, Portage Press published its first book, Essence by Peggy Trojan.
Please note that submissions are currently closed.
The manuscript must be the author’s original work, between 48 and 104 pages long.
- The author must live in or have a relationship with the Upper Midwest, which we define as Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
- The manuscript must be sent in hard-copy form. The cover page should list the manuscript’s title, author’s name, e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number. The manuscript should include a second cover page with the title only. The author’s name should not appear anywhere else on the manuscript.
- A $5 reading fee must accompany each manuscript. Checks should be made out to Carroll University.
- An author is welcome to submit more than one manuscript, but each manuscript should be accompanied by a separate reading fee.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, as long as we are informed immediately if a manuscript has been accepted elsewhere.
- The manuscript must be postmarked by March 1, 2017; manuscripts postmarked after this date will be unread. The screening will be completed by March 23, 2017. All authors will be notified of the results via e-mail.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- Send your manuscript and reading fee to:
c/o B.J. Best
100 N. East Ave.
Waukesha, WI 53186
Please contact us if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading your work!