Spring 2018 reading period results:
We are pleased to announce that Work Opportunities, a collection of short stories by Teresa Milbrodt, is available now on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle format.
“Cemetery management. A side gig breathing fire. Tattooing teeth for a living. Wrangling camera-ready squirrels for the movies. These are stories about the jobs people never wanted, always wanted, or still can’t land–the jobs they do for lack of a better option, or to support family honor and free honey buns. They are stories about beloved pets, left-behind lovers, family members who won’t negotiate, and treacherous bank balances. So enter the thrift store, the side show, the senior center, the zoo, for a cup of coffee or pint of beer, and a few work opportunities you never expected.”
The book will be available on Amazon in May 2018.
Portage Press will be student-directed as part of Carroll University’s Literary Magazine Publishing course. The chosen author will have the opportunity to work with a talented team of editors and graphic designers dedicated to making the book the best it can be. The book will be supported by a marketing and PR team. The Press will be advised by Prof. B.J. Best.
The book will be printed through CreateSpace, Amazon’s print-on-demand service. The book will then be available for sale on Amazon. CreateSpace offers high-quality printing at very reasonable prices.
The author’s payment will be 10 copies of the book plus 50% of the royalties Portage Press receives from Amazon. The author will also have the opportunity to purchase additional copies of the book at a rate of 50% of the list price.
In 2015, Portage Press published its first book, Essence by Peggy Trojan.
In 2017, Portage Press published Soup Stories by CLS Ferguson.
The manuscript must be the author’s original work, between 75 and 200 pages long.
- The manuscript must be emailed as Word Doc. The cover page should list the manuscript’s title, author’s name, e-mail address, mailing address, and phone number, along with a short bio. The manuscript should include a second cover page with the title only. The author’s name should not appear anywhere else on the manuscript.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, as long as we are informed immediately if a manuscript has been accepted elsewhere.
- The manuscript must be sent by February 15, 2018; manuscripts sent after this date will be unread. The screening will be completed by March 15, 2018. All authors will be notified of the results via e-mail.
- There is no reading fee to submit.
- Individual stories within the manuscript may have been previously published as long as proper credit is given to the original publications.
- Email your manuscript to: email@example.com. Please include your last name and “Portage Press submission” in the subject line.
Please contact us if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading your work!